Fire departments responded to a medical building on Madison Avenue in the borough Tuesday night after smoke filled the third floor.
A thermostat—and the wall around it—started burning, which triggered the building's alarm system and prompted a 9-1-1 call from cleaning personnel, Madison Fire Chief Lou DeRosa said.
The fire was put out with an extinguisher, and the wall was opened to see if the fire had spread. The upper floors of the building, 300 Madison Ave., were ventilated.
The 9-1-1 call led to a county dispatcher notifying Morris Township's fire department. The building is in Madison, but near the Morris Township border.
Separately, Madison received an alert from the building's fire detection system and responded, DeRosa said.
The fire was reported at about 6:50 p.m. The Madison Fire Department cleared the scene by 8:15 p.m., he said.