Power outages caused by Hurricane Sandy cut electricity to some highway traffic signals around Morris County on Monday, while fallen trees, utility poles and wires shut down numerous roads around the county.
A downed tree on northbound I-287 at Exit 45 forcing traffic to the shoulder was among the problems reported.
The county OEM said accidents have been reported and urged residents to stay off the roads in a message on its Facebook page, saying any accidents pull first responders from other critical needs:
PLEASE stay off the roads. There are reports of motor vehicle accidents, which pull police and other public safety workers away from critical needs today. There are also traffic lights going out due to power outages and wind.
(Click here for Morris County power outage information)
Morris County traffic reports, as of 4 p.m. Monday.
The following road closures have been reported to Morris County OEM or have been provided information via their official online communications:
- County-wide: As of 4:07pm, there's a Downed tree on I-287 northbound at North of Exit 45 - Vreeland Ave in Montville Twp. All lanes closed Traffic Using Shoulder, use caution.
- Cedar Knolls: E Hanover Ave by Morris County Mall in both directions due to tree and wires.
- Chatham Township: Fairmount Avenue closed from Meyersville Road to River Road. Trees entangled with wires.
- Chester Township: Pottersville Rd. is closed near #700 to the town line for live primary wires down across the roadway.
- Chester Township: Old Chester Road is closed between Hunters Tr. to Chilton Rd. for wires and trees down.
- Chester Township: South Road is closed between Locust and the Mendham Twp. Line due to a tree and wires down.
- Denville: Old Boonton Road closed from Pocono Road to Farmsted Road, Wires and trees down covering road way. JCPL has been notified.
- Denville: Casterline Road at Smith Road limited vehicle access due to tree on wires.
- Hanover: Traffic lights along the corridor of Route 10 East and West are out due to power outage. Barricades and cones set in place.
- Hanover: Hanover Ave between Ridgedale and Whippany Rd will be shut.
- Lincoln Park: River View Ave is closed due to down wires. Residents are urged to use caution when traveling thru area where there are downed wires.
- Lincoln Park:Comly Road closed between Bog & Vly and West William Street due to downed power lines.
- Madison: Pomeroy Road CLOSED because of trees and poles down.
- Mount Olive: Wolfe Road is closed from Route 46 to Cassidy Road. Use Tree Top Road to access apartments and Mt. Olive Rd for Flanders Drakestown.
- Parsippany: Live wires down at intersection of Lake Shore Dr. and Vail Rd. Avoid area.
- Parsippany: Traffic signals are also not functioning at Rita Dr. at Rt. 202. Officers in roadway.
The following towns have reported shelter locations to Morris County OEM or have provided information via their official online communications. Statewide shelter information is available at NJ211.org.
- Denville: Morris Knolls High School in Denville will be open as a shelter for pets and their owners. The animal must have a crate, at least 3 days food, water and medications, and the owner MUST stay with the animal. Please contact them at 973-980-8866 for more information.
- Dover: Shelter will open 6 p.m. Located at Dover High School, 100 Grace St.
- Madison: Shelter will be staffed at 9 a.m. Located at the Madison Ambulance Building (across from Public Safety Building). 25 Beds, food and comfort kits from Red Cross. NO ANIMALS allowed.
- Morris Township - Special Needs ONLY: The evacuation shelter is now open for those residents with special needs in the event there will a power failure. If you know of someone (family member, elderly or house bound neighbor) who would be required to relocate to the shelter during a prolonged power failure, contact the OEM Hotline @ 973-292-4884. You MUST contact us and we will refer you to the appropriate shelter.
- Parsippany: Lake Hiawatha Elementary school will be opening as a storm shelter at 1 p.m. Monday. The school is located at 1 Lincoln Ave. in Lake Hiawatha, 07034 for GPS.