.

Couple Displaced by Fire in Chatham Township Home

Blaze originated from fireplace, chief says.

A fire burns in a house on Meyersville Road in Chatham Township Friday evening. Credit: Submitted photo
A fire burns in a house on Meyersville Road in Chatham Township Friday evening. Credit: Submitted photo
A man and a woman were displaced from their Chatham Township home Friday evening after the house was damaged by a fire that originated from a fireplace, the township's fire chief said.

Firefighters from several area departments responded to the blaze on Meyersville Road.

Chatham Township Fire Chief Bob Evans said the man tried putting out the fire with two fire extinguishers before calling for help.

The man was taken to a hospital because he might have got soot in his eyes. Evans said the couple was in contact with someone who planned to come to them, and he expected would be able to arrange somewhere for them to stay.

Green Village, Chatham Borough, Madison, Summit and Berkeley Heights fire departments and the Morris County Office of Emergency Management were among those that responded to the scene.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »