Twenty-one Madison eateries are participating in the borough's first College Restaurant Week this week to highlight dining options downtown.
Students from Drew University, Fairleigh Dickinson University and the College of St. Elizabeth can receive discounts Monday through Sunday at participating restaurants. (See the list below.)
The Downtown Development Commission and Madison Chamber of Commerce are co-sponsoring the event.
Downtown Development Commissioner and Drew's Executive Director of Facilities Mike Kopas said in a news release Madison is students' "home away from home."
“Every student likes to leave campus occasionally to break up their on-campus dining routines," he said. "Madison restaurants do an excellent job of making the students feel welcome while providing a family-orientated, friendly service.”
Carla Brady, DDC Commissioner and assistant director of student activities at Drew, said the event is a “fun and innovative way to incorporate college students into the town.”
Commission Chairman Eric Range said restaurant owners are excited to welcome new and returning students, and Chamber of Commerce President Ken Toumey said the business community is hopeful students will make "the short trek downtown more often."
“The Madison dining scene is full
of hidden gems, and this is an opportunity for them to really shine," Range said.
Mike Caminiti, owner of Mama C’s Subs, said he's looking forward to the opportunity to show college students what his sandwich shop has to offer, including Wi-Fi, along with salads, soups and specials.
“College students sometimes need to get off campus for a change of atmosphere," he said in a borough announcement for the event. "We are known to be a friendly place and want to be the place that the college students go in town.”
Loryn Dagon, owner of Chef Loryn’s, said said students always can find fresh, homemade food at her restaurant.
“We are always excited for a new
school year," she said. "A new season, new friends, new menu items."
Drew University, Fairleigh Dickinson University, and College of St. Elizabeth students with a college ID can enjoy discounts and deals from the following participating restaurants and eateries:
- C&J’s Deli, 10 Park Avenue
- Chef Loryn’s, 250 Main Street
- Crowley Cupcakes, 7 Waverly Place
- Begum Palace, 300 Main Street
- David’s Rumba Café, 6 Elmer Street
- Empire Szechuan, 258 Main Street
- Fratelli’s Deli, 42 Main Street
- Il Porto, 90 Park Avenue
- Italian Village Pizza, 300 Main Street
- L’allegria Restaurant, 11 Prospect Street
- Mama C’s Subs, 143 Main Street
- Nautilus Diner, 95 Main Street
- Nicky’s Firehouse, 15 Central Avenue
- On A Roll, 50 ½ Main Street
- Prospect Tavern, 14 Prospect Street
- Rob’s Bistro, 75 Main Street
- Romanelli’s, 42 Lincoln Place
- SOHO 33, 33 Main Street
- Takuma Japanese Restaurant, 42 Lincoln Place
- Chianti, 7 Cross Street
- The Waverly Restaurant, 14 Waverly Place