What to Do With Your Christmas Tree?
Madison chipped its tree at Waverly Place and Main Street on Wednesday, and has announced when the DPW will be accepting residents' trees.
Madison's tree at Waverly Place and Main Street got chewed up and spit out by a chipper on Wednesday morning, and the borough is letting residents know what to do with their own Christmas trees.
- Do not place your tree close to a heat source, including a fireplace or heat vent. The heat will dry out the tree, causing it to be more easily ignited by heat, flame or sparks.
- Be careful not to drop or flick cigarette ashes near a tree. Do not put your live tree up too early or leave it up for longer than two weeks. Keep the tree stand filled with water at all times.
- Never put tree branches or needles in a fireplace or wood-burning stove. When the tree becomes dry, discard it promptly. The best way to dispose of your tree is by taking it to a recycling center or having it hauled away by a community pick-up service.