Lincoln, Waverly Honored as a Top NJ Public Space
The New Jersey chapter of the American Planning Association has released its first list of 'Great Places' in the state, and downtown Madison is on it.
The New Jersey chapter of the American Planning Association has released its first list of "Great Places in New Jersey," and downtown Madison is on it.
Waverly and Lincoln Place of downtown Madison is on the list of three top public spaces, along with Grove Street Plaza in Jersey City and the Historic Perth Amboy Waterfront.
One of the judges, Linda E. Willis, said in a news release, “Waverly and Lincoln Places are designed to balance the competing needs of motor vehicle drivers, bicyclists and pedestrians, all drawn by the bustling stores, restaurants, and entertainment."
APA-NJ President Charles Latini Jr. said, “The success of Waverly and Lincoln Places offers valuable insights for local officials and residents looking to revitalize their communities. Since 1980, the Borough of Madison has consistently applied the planning standards and tools necessary to create a vibrant downtown economy.”
Mayor Bob Conley credited the Downtown Development Commission with taking the lead in marketing and maintaining Madison's downtown.
“The DDC’s public/private partnership guarantees a hearty debate of the issues and channels the spirit of the community into this flourishing hub of bustling commercial storefronts, entertainment venues, and restaurants with upper level residences," he said.
The 2012 Great Places in New Jersey designees, listed below, are not ranked:
2012 Great Neighborhoods
- Downtown Bordentown in Bordentown City, Burlington County
- Downtown Frenchtown in Frenchtown Borough, Hunterdon County
- Pier Village in Long Branch City, Monmouth County
2012 Great Streets
- Broad Street in Hopewell Borough, Mercer County
- Church Street in Montclair City, Essex County
2012 Great Public Spaces
- Grove Street Plaza in Jersey City, Hudson County
- Waverly & Lincoln Places in Madison Borough, Morris County
- Historic Perth Amboy Waterfront in Perth Amboy City, Middlesex County